Seasons Federal Credit Union EMV Chip Cards
Your Seasons Federal Credit Union Visa® credit and debit cards come equipped with EMV chip technology, which provides you with an extra layer of protection against fraud when you use it at chip-enabled payment terminals and ATMs. This chip produces a one-of-a-kind code every time you complete a transaction, helping to even further reduce the threat of counterfeiters replicating your card’s information.
What is EMV Chip Technology?
EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard and Visa. An EMV chip card has a microprocessor embedded directly on the front of the card. The chip provides stronger transaction security features and other application capabilities that traditional magnetic strip (i.e., magstripe) cards do not possess. Although chip cards do not totally eliminate fraud, they provide additional security for our cardholders.
Why is Seasons adding chip technology to debit and credit cards?
In addition to the traditional magnetic strip that you are used to seeing, the chip provides an extra layer of protection and securely transfers account data from the chip to the merchant through a chip-enabled card reader. EMV is currently the global standard for payment processing that will soon become the standard in the United States. More merchants are accepting chip transactions every day. Whether you check out using chip technology or swipe your card’s magstripe, you can pay wherever Visa cards are accepted.
When will I see chip technology at Seasons ATMs?
In 2019, Seasons Federal Credit Union upgraded its network of ATMs to include EMV chip card readers. All Seasons ATMs are now EMV-activated.
How do I use my chip card at a Seasons ATM?
- Insert the chip end of your card, with the chip facing up, into the chip-enabled ATM.
- Leave your card in the ATM slot for the entire transaction. Follow the prompts on the screen to complete the transaction.
- Remove your card when prompted and take the receipt. A light located directly above the card reader will flash to prompt you to retrieve your card. If you do not take your card after a few seconds, the ATM will beep to remind you to remove your card.
How do I use my chip card in stores?
When you try to swipe the commonly used magstripe at a merchant’s chip-enabled POS terminal, you will be prompted by the terminal to use your card’s chip instead, if it has one. When instructed to do so, follow these general steps:
- Instead of swiping your card, insert the chip end of your card—with the chip facing up—into the chip-enabled terminal.
- Leave your card in the terminal throughout the entire transaction and follow the prompts on the screen to complete the purchase.
- Remove your card when prompted and take your receipt.